Monday, April 29, 2013

5k Saturday

 
Distance: 3.1
Time: 39:57
Number of falls: 0
Number of times I felt fat and out of shape: 15-20
Number of times Kyli asked me if I needed a rescue inhaler: 2
 
Saturday morning I went to my friend Kyli's hometown to run a 5k with her. Her mom was one of the organizers for the race and Kyli wanted someone to run with. I knew running with her would be difficult because I had run with her once before. She's in good shape and works out all the time. Even though running is not her favorite thing, and she claimed to want to run slowly because her knee was bothering her, I knew I would have to work hard to keep up with her. I also realize that it's good for me to run with people who are faster than me. I think it will help me improve my speed.
 
The weather turned out to be beautiful, and as usual, I was overdressed. Before the race I had visions of beating my PR for a 5k, which is 38:05. I figured if I just toughed it out and tried to keep up with Kyli I would end up with a much faster time. But she was serious about wanting to run more slowly than usual, and though I started off running faster, we eventually settled into what was more my pace. The first two miles were pretty fast for me, but by the time we hit the third mile I was feeling crappy and slowed way down.
 
Kyli seemed content to spend the whole run socializing. She kept up a steady conversation and I got in a few words here and there. It's always a bit of a struggle for me to talk while I'm trying to run. The good thing about running with Kyli is that even though I was laboring, we still had fun. And we both thought the race went by really quickly because of all the conversation.
 
I ended up finishing with a time that is so-so for me. Not my fastest, not my slowest. One of my goals is to be able to run a 35-minute 5k. I was hoping to be able to do that by the end of the summer, but I think I'm a little farther away from that than I originally thought. It may be time to get out to the track and do some speed work to help that goal along a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment